Friday, January 1, 2010

Writing

I watched a movie tonight about a writer. It was a comedy - a romantic comedy at that - and it had some great insights into the writing process. He explained to a reluctant audience of one that he didn't know how the story was going to end because the characters take him to the places they will go. That makes perfect sense to me. (Alex & Emma)


I read a book not long ago about "story". Not a particular story necessarily, but story in general. The story of an individual. The story of a people. The story of a God. The challenge in that book, and I want to read it again...perhaps I'll pick it up again after clicking "publish post" :)...anyway the challenge to me was that good stories have certain criterion. Whether it be a book or a movie or a play or whatever. A good story will have specific elements that a not-so-good story doesn't have. Upon doing some extensive study on story, the author decides that if he applies these elements, these criterion to his own story, the unfolding story of his life, that he could actually improve his story. And what do you know - it did! This is not the same thing as "choosing your destiny" kind of thing. Or deciding what you want in life and "making" it happen. But rather choosing risk, for example, instead of safety. The author chose to try to "get the girl." The relationship didn't turn into a happily ever after, but he became a better person because of it. He learned more about himself. He had a good dating relationship that lasted longer than his standard average. He improved his story.

So as I sit here in the glow of the computer monitor on a day people eat black-eyed peas for luck and decide to lose weight or quit smoking or other lofty goals which will be left by the way-side in a matter of weeks or even days, I think I will resolve to improve my story.

And maybe even write about it.

Happy New Year.

No comments: